Monday, March 7, 2011

Books I love - Fablehaven

I'm starting to build my summer book list, and I imagine you might be looking for a good book to read as well (when you have time, of course). The hard thing about creating book lists is that you don't know what books are going to be good or worth your time. Sure, it might have an intriguing cover (and I don't know about you, but I do often judge books by their cover) and a somewhat good excerpt, but is it actually good? It's hard to know.

So, while I compile a list of books I'm going to give a chance this summer, I thought I'd recommend to you another one of my favorite books (or rather, five of them): Fablehaven.



The two main characters of Fablehaven are two kids (sister and brother) named Kendra and Seth. The books start out when one set of their grandparents dies and their parents have to go on an obligatory cruise with the rest of the aunts and uncles. Kendra and Seth go to stay with their other set of grandparents, who live in rather rural woods and who they've rarely seen. They soon learn that there's a good reason they've never been allowed to visit before.

These grandparents - as Kendra and Seth come to discover - are caretakers of a magical creature preserve. They learn that magical creatures all over the world have taken refuge or have been forced on to these preserves, so that both they and humans are safe. Caretakers all over the world watch over these creatures and this great secret. Soon, however, they learn of a large and evil group that is dedicated to overthrowing the preserves and creating worldwide chaos. Kendra and Seth, along with their grandparents and other allies, must work to defeat them.

I love Fablehaven for a lot of reasons. The idea is so original and so fun, the characters are all so different and believable and likable, and you wish you were there and are so relieved you aren't all at the same time. The plot is awesome. Seriously, awesome. There are some really cool parts that are - they're hard to describe - cool and comforting and rewarding and just incredible.

I have to admit, the first book is a little slow. I think it's that way because it's Brandon Mull's first book, and he learns as he goes. The books just get better and better. Book one is good, book two is better, and book three just explodes with awesomeness.

Did you know, I got to meet Brandon Mull? He came to the Provo Library before he released Book Five. I brought all of my books, and he signed them. He's really nice; I liked him a lot.

He has a new series starting this month, and I can't wait to read it. Brandon Mull is definitely one of my favorite authors. Fablehaven is fun, exciting, funny, and just plain good. I highly recommend it. It would be a great book to pick up if you're looking for something good to read.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree. I love Fablehaven! This makes me want to re-read them (which I probably will this summer) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Fablehaven! And I love that you met Brandon Mull! (and I guess I'm a tad bit jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first Fablehaven book I read was one I borrowed from Sydney when I was staying at your mom's house. I was hooked, and I bought and read all the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.